By JULIE FIANZA/PIO
BAGUIO CITY — The Oplan Kaluluwa executive committee in coordination with the Baguio City Police Office (BCPO) Traffic Management Unit during a meeting last week has issued a traffic re-routing scheme for the annual exodus to the city’s cemeteries this coming All Saints’ Day.
According to City Administrator Atty. Carlos Canilao, everything was prepared as planned for smooth traffic flow, but improvements may still be done until November 1.
As in previous years, it was agreed during the meeting that traffic enforcers and field training police shall be deployed in roads in the Central Business District (CBD) up to the Baguio Cemetery from 5:00AM of November 1, until the activity is over.
This was also requested by punong barangays of affected areas, as they have observed several violations of the no-parking rule along roads and alleys
To ensure smooth flow of traffic, a one-way scheme shall be strictly implemented during the same period of time along:
• Naguilian Road, from junction of Bokawkan Road up to Dominican Road;
• Dominican Road, from junction of Naguilian Road up to Queen of Apostles Road and Queen of Peace Road up to Legarda rd/Palma St. intersection;
• Whole stretch of San Luis Road, from junction of Naguilian Road up to San Roque Road;
• Whole stretch of San Roque Road going up towards Naguilian/Dominican;
• Going up only, the whole stretch of Sofia de Vera St.;
• Going up only, of the first road Quezon Hill (from junction of Naguilian rod up to Ponce St.; and,
• Whole stretch of Hamada Road (from Naguilian towards Queen of Peace Road).
Though according to TMU head Engelbert Soriano, the use of private vehicles is discouraged to ease traffic, they are allowed to pass in front of the Baguio Cemetery, turn around at the junction of San Carlos Heights 2nd Road and shall be allowed to unload/load passengers infront of Baguio Cemetery then pass through Quirino Highway, turn right to Lourdes/Dominican in going back to Central Business District area.
Trucks and Buses are banned along Quirino Highway from Bokawkan Road, Naguilian Road junction up to 2nd Road San Carlos Heights junction. Trucks and buses are advised to take alternate routes; Marcos Highway, Lamtang, Longlong and Sta. Lucia Circumferential road (from 5 AM of Nov. 1 up to midnight of the same day).
Only water delivery, ambulance, police vehicles and officially allowed cars are allowed inside the Baguio Cemetery during the same period.
Public utility jeepneys shall be re-routed, as:
Guisad, Fairview and other PUJ associations using Ferguson Road in going to the CBD shall take Dangwa St., or Roman Ayson to Bokawkan Road towards their designated loading terminal same route in going back to the point of origin.
Taxicabs delivering passengers to the cemetery shall go around at 2nd road, San Carlos Heights and allowed to unload passengers before the Baguio Memorial Cemetery Gate, pass through Quirino Highway, turn right to Dominican Road towards Queen of Peace or Queen of Apostles St. going back to the CBD.
Irisan, San Carlos Heights, NPC, other Naguilian PUJs Association, shall take Naguilian Road in going to the CBD, turn right to Dominican Road going down to either Queen of Peace or Queen of Apostles Road to their terminal. They shall take their usual route in going back to point of origin. Unloading of passengers shall be at the junction of San Carlos Heights, first road.
San Luis, San Roque, Asin, Nangalisan and other PUJs association shall take Asin rd., in going to the CBD. Their back route shall be San Roque rd, turn right to Dominican rd down to Queen of Peace or Queen of Apostles rd to their terminal. Unloading of passengers shall be at the back of Station 1, BCPO.
Dominican PUJs in going to the CBD shall take Queen of Peace or Queen of Apostles rd to their designated loading/unloading terminal. Usual route shall be used in going back to the point of origin. Unloading shall be before the ark, left side of the road going to Baguio Cemetery.
Quezon Hill PUJs in going to the CBD shall take first road, Quezon hill, turn right towards Naguilian road, turn left to Dominican road down to Queen of Peace or Queen of Apostles to their designated loading/unloading terminal. Usual routes shall be used in going back to point of origin. Unloading of passengers shall be nine (9) meters from the junction of 2nd road Quezon Hill.
Public Utility Vehicles not affected by this temporary traffic re-routing shall go on with their usual routes.
A “No Parking” policy shall be strictly implemented:
• inside Baguio Cemetery;
• Naguilian road, from junction of Bokawkan rd up to the first road San Carlos hts., both sides;
• whole stretch of San Roque Rd, both sides;
• San Luis road, from junction of Naguilian rd up to Queen of Angels St, both sides;
• whole stretch of Queen of Peace Road, both sides;
• whole stretch of Queen of Apostles road, both sides; and
• the whole stretch of Sofia de Veyra St., both sides.
Recommended parking areas are:
• the pay parking area inside Cooyesan Plaza;
• inside Shangrila subdivision;
• inside Recoletos compound;
• Naguilian road, from opposite side of ist rd San Carlos hts up to main gate of Bermuda subdivision, parallel parking for light vehicles only;
• whole stretch of Ponce st. along Quezon Hill.
Mayor Mauricio Domogan who heads the executive committee himself assured the body that the scheme is the best possible route studied for the occasion. # nordis.net